Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hoy hoy hoy

We are so close to Santa Day and for the first time in years I actually have to go out shopping the week of. So I am venturing out to West Valley. I figure since it's ghetto, perhaps there will be less people shopping there.

Just thinking about "rock bottom." For some people, like myself, one tiny scare will knock their bad behaviour out. Four years ago I received a public intoxication ticket for trying to sleep one off in my car. I still protest this ticket, although I did pay the fine. I was freshly 21 and didn't know the bullshit rules yet. Before this happened I was drinking nearly very single night. You can find a party for every night of the week, if you are that crazy. It's true though, it's not a party if it happens every night. So that was my scare, I stopped drinking for 81 days, on my own free will. No court orders for me. After which, I slowed down tremendously. Then I ran into the problem where I would only drink occasionally, but when I did I would go balls to the walls. Or whatever that saying is. So this year, I vomit volcanoed in my sleep. So since then I have been drinking very little (at least for me). Also I have been laying off the hard liquor and drinking wine and wine coolers.
Rock bottom is so different for everyone. I know people who have one dui, two duis, who have ruined their chance of ever driving a car again due to alcohol and still that isn't rock bottom. People who have lost their jobs, kids and homes. In addition, several members of my family are lifelong alcoholic/drug addicts who have basically nothing and no one and they still continue on. I just don't understand the appeal. It's not a party anymore, it's just a slow death.

No comments:

Post a Comment